Saint Mary's Pastoral Center
Adaptive reuse and renovation for a renewed and historic place of worship
St. Mary's Home was built in 1936 for the Sisters of Mercy and orphaned girls of Savannah. The home closed in 2010 and remained vacant waiting for a renewed purpose. The Diocese of Savannah began planning to bring all of their ministries and offices under the roof of this incredible building to honor the memory and service of the St. Mary's Home. The project called for an adaptive reuse that creatively transformed residential spaces into offices and conference spaces.
Tharpe Engineering Group provided structural design and construction administration services for the renovation of this building. Special care was taken in the chapel to preserve and create a new place of worship. Structural modifications included the addition of an elevator, reconfiguring the support of the existing cupola, reinforcement of existing framing and masonry openings, new ramps and porch canopies, and repairs of the existing roof framing.